Fieldwork: truffle hunting
Isolation of cyclic peptides from plants
Fieldwork: sponge collecting
A deep-sea sponge crude extract with some antibacterial activity
Extracting RNA from marine worms for transcriptomics
Exploring the chemical space to select and predict new drug leads
Growing and collecting violet leaves for peptide extractions
Setting up a Leishmania assay
Designing grafted peptides as new drug leads
Extracting sponge DNA with magnetic beads
Bioactive natural projects play a key role in drug discovery, as pharmacological tools, and as intermediates and templates for production of drugs. The research group of Pharmacognosy works interdisciplinary, in extensive national and international research collaborations, in the fields of clinical pharmacology, marine chemical ecology, systematic botany and chemical and structural biology.
Ongoing projects are focused on chemistry and biology of ultra stable proteins, methods of selection and target-finding, antifouling and antibacterial molecules from marine organisms, and anti-inflammatory and antitumor activity of natural products.
- 21 December 2018. Old Chemistry Springs into Life - Scientific Breakthrough of the Year!
- 18 Nov 2018 The European Truffle Research Group: Meeting on Gotland!
- 15 Oct 2018. 700 Million years old Fossil steroids!
- Peptide toxins from the longest animal on Earth!
- 15 May 2018. Antimicrobial peptides on the cover!
CONTACT AND OPEN POSITIONS
We are constantly looking for new PostDocs, PhD candidates and MSc students. Contact Prof. Anders Backlund to know more, or browse our group pages.
Are you a student at the Faculty of Pharmacy, do not forget that you can apply to the Summer research school, SOFOSKO!
- Revisions to the Classification, Nomenclature, and Diversity of Eukaryotes. 2019
- Microwave Extraction of Essential Oil from Anastatica hierochuntica (L): Comparison with Conventional Hydro-Distillation and Steam Distillation. 2018
- Synthesis, Chemistry and Utilities of Diaminoazoles with Special Reference to 3,5-Diaminopyrazoles. 2018
- Collagen VI Contains Multiple Host Defense Peptides with Potent In Vivo Activity. 2018
- Synthesis of aryl pyrazole via Suzuki coupling reaction, in vitro mushroom tyrosinase enzyme inhibition assay and in silico comparative molecular docking analysis with Kojic acid. 2018
- From marine caves to the deep sea, a new look at Caminella (Demospongiae, Geodiidae) in the Atlanto-Mediterranean region. 2018
- Convergent morphology in Alpinieae (Zingiberaceae): Recircumscribing Amomum as a monophyletic genus. 2018
- Investigation of robustness for supercritical fluid chromatography separation of peptides: Isocratic vs gradient mode. 2018
- Action of antimicrobial peptides and their prodrugs on model and biological membranes. 2018
- Stabilized Cyclic Peptides as Scavengers of Autoantibodies: Neutralization of Anticitrullinated Protein/Peptide Antibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis. 2018
- Alanine and Lysine Scans of the LL-37-Derived Peptide Fragment KR-12 Reveal Key Residues for Antimicrobial Activity. 2018
- Peptide ion channel toxins from the bootlace worm, the longest animal on Earth. 2018
- Two-stage mass spectrometry approach for the analysis of triterpenoid glycosides in Fagonia indica. 2018
- Broad range chemical profiling of natural deep eutectic solvent extracts using a high performance thin layer chromatography-based method. 2018
- Molecular and morphological data from Thoosidae in favour of the creation of a new suborder of Tetractinellida. 2018
- Chemistry of Heterocyclic Five and Six Membered Enamino Nitriles and Enamino Esters. 2018
- Tales of the Unexpected in Synthesis of Polyfunctional Heteroaromatics. 2018
- Characterization of alpha-Glucosidase Inhibitors from Clinacanthus nutans Lindau Leaves by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry-Based Metabolomics and Molecular Docking Simulation. 2018
- Avidin-biotin cross-linked microgel multilayers as carriers for antimicrobial peptides. 2018
- Peptide-loaded microgels as antimicrobial surface coatings. 2018